Wednesday, August 29, 2012

San Francisco

While I was in San Francisco, I had all sorts of different food experiences. Of them all, Tuk Tuk Thai off of Union was BY FAR the best experience!  Oh my goodness!  I was so thrilled with the food that I got that I took pictures of the food that my travelers were eating as well!  Seriously fabulous!  I feel so fortunate that I am able to go to Thailand and experience the beautiful culture and food!  I also ate a place called Boudin, which is a sourdough bread bakery and restaurant.  They didn't have any noticeably vegan items on the menu, but when I asked the waiter if there were any vegan options he was more than willing to talk with the chef to see what has been done in the past.  I was able to custom order some mushroom risotto (which was made without cheese or butter) and MAN was it delicious! I was so thankful for the waiter and the chef who were so willing to accommodate my needs.  Please, vegans, make sure to THANK chefs and waiters who are even remotely accommodating to vegans... leaving a positive impression of vegans will only help to spread a positive reputation and make restaurants more likely to come out with a vegan option!  If you feel comfortable talking with chefs or managers about possibly adding a vegan option, that would be awesome as well!

On my first day in San Francisco I went to a restaurant called Pier 23.  Once again, nothing on the menu jumped out to me as being vegan or even vegetarian.  I asked the waitress and she said that they would be able to throw together some angel hair pasta, okra, mushrooms, onions, peppers, squash, and olive oil. I was more than happy to accept!  I threw an Italian dressing that I requested on top of the pasta dish and it was absolutely fabulous!  I ate the entire thing! 

I got a portabella mushroom burger that was also fabulous!  and eggplant parmigiana.... that was absolutely TERRIBLE!  I literally didn't eat but 1/4 of the meal because it was so gross! Fortunately that was pretty much the only bad thing I got on the trip!  I never did make it to any of the restaurants on my "to do" list, but I feel more fortunate to have found acceptable vegan options at a variety of "unknown" restaurants.  I feel very confident in my ability to order vegan at    very non-vegan restaurants because of all of these trips I have been taking.    Here are some pictures of my delicious meal at Tuk Tuk Thai!  If you ever get the chance to go to San Francisco, I highly recommend going there! 


Pad Thai


Wanton Soup


Cashew Raisin Fried Rice 


And THIS is MY baby!  Thai Green Curry with vegetables, Tofu, and Rice.... FRICKEN YEA!

No comments:

Post a Comment