Monday, September 17, 2012

Proud Vegan

I'm sort of at a loss of things to say these days, but what I can say is that I am proud to be a vegan.  I finally have a couple days off from work and I'm excited to continue reading "Eating Animals" in my free time!  I am constantly looking for new books on veganism to educate myself and renew my decision.  I think because we live in such a meat centered world, its especially important for each of us to take the time and energy to devote ourselves to educating ourselves about our lifestyle on a moral and health basis.  I have read a couple books already and I have learned so much that helped me to take the first steps into being vegan.  The two best books I have read so far are: Skinny Bitch and Veganist.  I am currently reading Eating Animals and Dominion is next, then I plan on reading The Lean by Kathy Freston who is simply amazing.  

I think another part of being vegan that is extremely important (even though I have yet to do it) is to get involved in some sort of vegan social group!  Im so excited to finally have the time to get involved in a group of passionate vegans now that I have the time to do so.  I also highly recommend investing in a couple of good, reliable vegan cook books to learn what lovely and amazing things you can cook vegan and still enjoy food.  A lot of people think that being vegan is so limiting and restrictive, but I would beg to differ and offer that being vegan actually opens up our pallets to a wider variety of foods and flavors that we would have otherwise avoided.  I can honestly say that had a not gone vegan, I probably would not have tried eggplant (which is amazing), or jicama, or kale... and some of these are now my favorites.  I find pride in enjoying the food I eat AND knowing that what I am eating is good for me!  What a great feeling that is!  

Dont forget to get some stellar recipes for vegan desserts too!  Unfortunately, there are not a lot of "accidentally" vegan desserts sitting around the grocery store, so much of the vegan desserting is totally on YOU.  But thats ok because baking is fun and Pinterest has all sorts of vegan baking ideas to try!  Dont be worried if you make something and its a total flop, that happens to the best of us!  Keep trying new recipes and I promise that you will find something you like! I have found so many wonderful recipes that I would love to recreate!  One of them is the Shepards Pie from Skinny Bitch in the Kitch!  Woah! I never wanted that to end!  

Another very important thing to note is, learn basic nutrition.  Fad diets THRIVE off of people who dont know basic nutrition and who will believe anything that anyone who "looks" or "sounds" important tells them  about nutrition.  I would stick with the line "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably IS to good to be true", but that line lost its effect when I ran across veganism..... the benefits are endless and its not even hard..... so, my next best advice is to know and understand how basic nutrition works and not to fall for anything.  Be sure to check the facts.  nutrition isnt as "easy" as taking a pill or as difficult as some make it sound.  All sorts of foods can fit into a healthy diet!  

Lastly, understand why you are vegan.  Ask questions.  Read books.  Subscribe to blogs.  Meet vegans!  

No comments:

Post a Comment