Monday, July 9, 2012

The Circus

I work a job where I take people with disabilities on vacation.  The vacations are pre-planned and I show up the morning of departure and take the group on vacation as a facilitator.  The last vacation I took was to Wisconsin Dells.  While we were in Wisconsin Dells, we were scheduled to go to the Circus World Museum in Baraboo.  I was so bummed because I, as expected, absolutely HATE the circus.  I sat in the crowd of the circus world museum watching animals such as horses, elephants, and monkeys be humiliated for our amusement.  I sat in the bleachers and listened to the chatter of the viewers around me saying things such as, "that elephant is so smart", "wow, that's so cool", "I never knew elephants could do stuff like that".... all the while I was thinking to myself, "you have no idea the kind of pain and agony that this elephant has/had to go through to be able to do that trick."  As I watched the elephant balance on the giant stool, I was so saddened that he could not simply enjoy the beautiful life of an elephant in the wild.  I looked into this eyes and felt deep sorrow for him and saw his exhaustion and pain as well.

I hated that I had to witness this, but I was thankful to feel what I felt for the elephant rather than feeling what most of the other viewers were feeling.  I felt sorrow and sadness as I watched animal after animal prance across the stage.  I was so irritated at what I saw that I vowed never to attend another Circus or zoo again (although I already avoided them to begin with)... I found Peta2's "Elephants Never Forget" Campaign  and pledged never to go to a circus that uses animals.  Here is the link to the webpage if you would like to learn more about the Elephants Never Forget campaign or make a pledge.  Remember that everyone can make a difference and that every person that doesnt go to the Circus is one less ticket sold.... less tickets=less money= less chance of survival of the circus.
http://features.peta2.com/neverforget/pledge.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment