Friday, July 20, 2012

Separation Anxiety

Lately I've been experiencing a little bit of separation anxiety.  Its not the type of separation anxiety one would think to pair with vegan-ism... ya know missing eggs and dairy etc... nope, it's separation anxiety from my family.  My family are literally 100% opposed to my vegan diet.  They are so turned off to the idea that they are basically ignoring me in my own house.  I feel so ignored and abandoned.  The thing is, I haven't even "officially" told them that I'm vegan.  The way I see it is kind of like this: 


My parents might already "know", based on my food selections and choices, that I'm vegan... but the way they are treating me in response to my lifestyle choices make me feel less and less comfortable with "coming out" to them about being vegan.  Even if they "know", there is a certain level of trust and comfort-ability that I must feel with their likelihood of accepting my decision in order to actually "come out".  Honestly, right now, I feel that they would be incredibly rude and insensitive about the whole issue.  My parents use the terms, "weird shit" and "vegan freak" when I'm cooking.... not exactly the most comfortable of environments to tell your parents that you are making a major life change in.  


I have literally walked into the house 3 nights in a row and my parents have made not one peep to me the entire night... no hello, no how are you, no nothing.  It's almost like they are perceiving what I am doing for MY life as a threat to their own... I literally feel like a stranger in my own home.  The most frustrating part about the whole thing is that I haven't said one single word to them about my feelings about them eating meat because I know that that is not my business, however they can't seem to refrain from making rude and insensitive comments about my eating habits.  Also, I was taught to always treat others with respect no matter how different from you they are... now 22 years later, my parents can't practice what they preach.  I eat good food and I'm proud of my choice. dammit. 


For those of you who don't know, I graduated college and I'm now living with my parents for a couple months before I head to Thailand to volunteer.  In addition to not having lived with my parents in several years, I am also trying to live with them with this new lifestyle I have employed. My parents arent the easiest to please.  They are your average burger and friends, steak and potato kind of people... Atkins diets, low carb diet, diet pill popping, etc etc.....My stepdad is wonderful, but certainly your, "where's the meat?" kind of guy when it comes to vegetarian dishes.  They may be less of a "tough egg to crack" and more of... well, "giant pieces of granite.  

No comments:

Post a Comment